Thursday, March 6, 2008

Adventures with the Lost Boys..

Ok, so we´ve all seen the movie Hook, right?

Well, I have a group of kids here that are my lost boys.. Ages 2 to 18, there´s about 12 of them and the numbers grow daily. They call me everyday after they get out of school and call out "JOTA!! JOTA!" (A.J. here is pronounced, "Ah- hota) and ask me, "¿quieres jugar futbal?" We end up playing soccer til about midnight. They never sleep.
So the other day, Rose and Diego had left for the day and I went out to hang with the boys. They tell me that the Virgin is "muy intelligente" and they are so saturated with Catholicism..
Pepo asks me a million times to tell them the story of how i killed Lissandro. They think it´s soo funny.
Anyway, so there i was, goign to play game with the boys and i wasn´t really feeling it because i was hungry, tired, and it was a bit chilly outside. I ran back to the house to grab a sweater and realized that I was locked out. The keys were on the table. It could be hours before Rose and Diego return.
So all the boys gathered together, jumped the roof adn were trying to help me figure a way in.
One girl took a knife to my door and took the handle off, but the way these doors are built in Mexico, it´s like a jailcell.. You ain´t gettin´in.
They rallied some of the other neighbors who tried to bust use other objects to leverage the door. Finally, the girl with the knife brought me a teddy bear for comfort and another kid brought me his moms jacket. I love them all.
All the sudden, I hear a cry in my backyard.. I´m in the front and looking thru the window, I can see what´s happening.. Some of the boys have ripped the window screen and are sending Antoni, the boy with cancer, thru the horizontal bars to the window.. All i can see are legs coming thru the side of the house. He starts to whimper a bit because his head doesn´t fit.. He´s stuck..
What is going on! I was totally fine with waiting and now, i got a band of brothers breaking in teh house and a kid that´s got his head stuck in the window! What a mess!
they got him out and tried to send another kid thru, Antoni´s little brother who was scared out of his mind.. If they did get him thru, he would just end up crying. Not a good idea.
In the meantime, upon Antoni´s safe return to the front of the house, I taught him how to tie his shoes, and some of the other kids, i taught how to step. It was fun. I asked the 2 year old what his favorite color was, adn with all of his motor skills, he turned to me and flicked me off. And Beto, the fat kid, trips while playing soccer and Pepo jumps on him and humps him. They are a mess and I love them so much. They made me french fries and gave me cake. Another kid gave me a plastic Virgin doll thing. They take such great care of me! I love them so much. Please pray for the lost boys.

1 comment:

arianna said...

Hola beautiful lady! Your daily adventures are amazing! You ROCK!... as does Jesus :) Sending lots of love and Prayers for all you got going on down there!
Always

Arianna&Fam