Saturday, March 15, 2008

Party with the Lost Boys

It´s my last day here in this neighborhood before I'm on to the next colony. I´ve been telling the boys about a party a goodbye party i want to have on Saturday.. I don´t remember how many kids i told, because they keep multiplying everyday.. They all konw my name but there are new faces I don´t recognize. It´s weird.

They´ve been asking me what´s on the agenda all week. "Es una sorpresa pero no hay piñata o pastel" We didn´t have money to buy a piñata or cake.

There is a rumbling outside my door. Some have gathered early. "Where are the rest?" Apparently, they are getting ready. Antoni, the 6year old with cancer, has an extra glob of gel in his hair. He´s looking sharp..I tell them to get the others and we´ll start early.. They explode on their bikes and run in all directions telling the others not to take baths first but to come. I love it.

We started the party with the three legged race. It didn´t really work because the culture here is so backwards in thinking that everyone is on their own, there is no such thing as team or working together. They don´t follow rules or directions at all. Chaos. Every single one of them cheated. They carried one another or hopped thru it. I have pictures of boys clinging to the others leg as he carries them. I guess they just decided who was bigger and they would drag the other. One kid ended up getting dragged pretty bad.. The other wouldn´t really stop until he himself tripped over. It´s so hott and their feet are getting burned. What a mess!
We sat them down and gave them fruit freeze popsicles in the shade and Diego talked about how there is a manual for TVs and Cell phones and all sorts of things and there is also a manual for life. He talked about the Bible and gave them the verse 2 Timothy 2:5 "Similarly, if anyone competes as an athlete, he does not receive the victor´s crown unless he competes according to the rules." They seemed pretty attentive.

We went on for a scavenger hunt which I thought would buy me 20 minutes time but it took less than 5. And once again, teams were scattered and everyone was out on their own.

At this point, the neighbors were gathering because of all the noise.

Last thing we had was a waterballoon toss. I had them line up in 2 lines and find a partner, but it was impossibly to get them to follow simple instructions. They don´t know how to play with another. Well, it didn´t take long before all 75 balloons were being pelted across the neighborhood.. Rose and I ran for the house and they followed us, screaming all the way. We need a doctor. Saulo got cut and is bleeding. I had no idea how you can bleed from water balloons except til I found out that Niavi was breaking balloons with a piece of glass. (She recently burned an "N" on her hand. She´s maybe 12.) Rose and Saulo got inside and slammed the door, while I was on the outside with the savages who were trying to bust the door down. Chaos. I felt like Lot for a second when the people were outside his door trying to get inside. But i was laughing.

We gave them these New Testament Bibles which are super cool because they have famous professional athletes and their stories scattered thruout the pages of the Bilbles. Everyone really liked it. Also, we passed out bags of chili covered candy. Everything in Mexico is covered with chili... Fruit, vegetables, yogurt, cereal, shampoo.. ok, i´m exaggerating a bit. But it´s for real here. Anyway, I promised them the biggest, baddest game of soccer going down hott tonight at 8 in the pm. They´re beyond stoked.

Some of them gave me goodbye notes and told me I was their best friend and they all kissed me on the cheek before it was over left. Another girl drew me a picture with a strawberry smelling crayon. The party was exactly one hour.. It felt like 4.

Rose and I had a debriefing period immediately after we locked the doors. It´s over. Wow. We were just discussing in Bible Study on Wednesday how God gave us the 10 Commandments for our protection and freedom and how we enjoy life when we live by the rules. And i just wished these kids could see how much MORE fun they would have if they had played by the rules or worked within the team. How much more we all could have when we listen. ¡Que Dia!

ok...I´m going to bed.

No comments: