Monday, March 3, 2008

Roadies and Scorpions

The girls went on a little afternoon retreat to Izamal, "the Yellow CIty". It was pretty rad.. In the AM, we stayed under a straw hut, did devos in español, (which i still struggled to get thru but I think I understood the basics) and sang worship songs.. and how cool was it that we talked about how Jesus paid it all.. We wrote down our own struggles with sin and taped ém to the cross.. And wow, I think i needed to hear it all over again. ¡The gospel brings such life!
We stayed at this womans house who must have been 100 years old. She had a one room house with a hammock and a severely retarded girl about my age staying with her. All she had in her house was a jug of water which she offered to me. It´s hard to take it in sometimes how little these people have and yet they are soo generous.
After the devos, we scampered of to see the cathedral. The whole town is a bright yellow and is just incredible. The cathedral was gorgeous. Except this one room which freaked me the heck out. Rose had told me that in this room was the "Virgin of Cameron" , this life size doll behind a glass wall.. People here believe she´s for real and give her baths and change her clothes and offer her prayers of thier loved ones. I walked in her "room" and just got wicked-creeped out. "Idolos" my friends from church say and Mexico is covered with them. Even the houses have little shrines with christmas lights and candles surrounding.. It´s freaky.
Anyway, i´m back now, to the fullest. In other news, I have a plague of mosquitos in my room. I prettymuch wake up with the pox every morning. Oh and i have a skink that crows like a lost boy in my room and last night, I found the little brother of Carmito (the giant scorpion i found on day one), he was so cute.. I named him Lissandro and took him outside to have a "chat". Killed him with a broomstick.. and today, we put acid in the bathroom to kill the mildew, mold, roaches, worms and ants that swarm the bathroom daily. Wait, should i be telling you this stuff??? Uh, welcome to Mexico...

2 comments:

Jen A said...

My hat's off to you for surviving a stomach bug in your current conditions...your bravery knows no bounds. I would have said "Seriously, game over! I'm taking my toys and I'm going home!" But not you, you embraced the cold, Meican, baño tile like a long, lost friend and spent quality time with it.
So maybe that's why I'm dreaming about you?! You have been on my mind so much lately, and every time you're there, I have a chat with our Heavenly Father about you, reminding him that you're in Mexico, asking Him to keep you safe, and that you could probably use a spiritual hugfest. He's good for those. I asked Him to hug your heart for me since you're too far for a real hug...did you smile at any point this week for no apparent reason? Well, that was me, thinking of you.
Liebe, freundin!

Let go... Let God... said...

I miss you, Amy!!!!